Tuesday, May 7, 2024

WEDNESDAY'S WORD - INSECURITIES - Sadell Bradley - 05/08/2024

 

WEDNESDAY'S WORD

INSECURITIES

05/08/2024

"Before you start a goal—let's take care of our insecurities, because they are going to surface when you put yourself in the crucible and you're suffering."– David Goggins, Athlete


TONIGHT 7 PM

IN-PERSON & ONLINE BIBLE STUDY


What's Going On?

CANCEL CULTURE

@warehouseOTR 

Facebook, Youtube

691 Fleming Road

Cincinnati OH 45231

In 2016, Issa Rae and Larry Wilmore released the comedy-drama television series INSECURE. It was partially based on Rae's acclaimed web series Awkward Black Girl. Insecure chronicles the experiences of an atypical African-American woman who struggles with her sometimes awkward, ungraceful, and cringe-worthy tendencies. She navigates life, career, and relationships with her best friend Molly, with whom she attended Stanford University, and her on again, off again boyfriend, Lawrence. The web series, TV show, and actors won many awards because of the depth to which Issa Rae unveiled, embraced, and celebrated her INSECURITIES—defined as uncertainty or anxiety about oneself; or lack of confidence. It was raw. It was honest. It captured the attention of a generation, because we all have insecurities.


Another definition for INSECURITY is the state of being open to danger or threat; lack of protection. We at times face physical, emotional, financial, and mental insecurity. Sometimes we project our fears and sense of a lack of safety onto others by exposing our anxious thoughts, with self-deprecating statements, awkward behaviors, or uneasy decisions. We can choose to mask our insecurities with pride, bravado, or quiet isolation...but there are places inside each of us where our self-assurance wanes and we're not as strong as we'd like to be. As leaders, when those who follow us see and point out our insecurities, it can be unnerving. Choosing to be vulnerable and embrace our weaknesses can bring us closer to God and to those we serve. It allows them to witness our healing journey. Will you show your scars?


In 2 Corinthians 12, the Apostle Paul reveals to the church at Corinth that he has an undisclosed weakness that troubles him all the time. He's personally encountered Jesus on the Damascus road, been made an Apostle by the Divine will of God, and traveled the then-known world with the Gospel. He says in verses 1-4 that he's also received revelations from the third heaven that were so astounding that they were unlawful to discuss. But Paul says,


5That experience is worth boasting about, but I’m not going to do it. I will boast only about my weaknesses. 6If I wanted to boast, I would be no fool in doing so, because I would be telling the truth. But I won’t do it, because I don’t want anyone to give me credit beyond what they can see in my life or hear in my message, 7even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.


8Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. 9Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. 10That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.


Paul and Issa Rae formed a different perspective on their insecurities and weaknesses. Instead of running from them, being frustrated with themselves for having them, or projecting them onto others...they decided to embrace them. They chose to see how their frailties, though instruments being used by the enemy to harass and afflict them—could also be gifts used to bless others, to cultivate humility, and to empower them with God's strength. What do you think about yours?

Worship Service 10:00 AM - Bible Study 9:00 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment

WEDNESDAY'S WORD - LAMENT - Sadell Bradley - 09/25/2024

  WEDNESDAY'S WORD LAMENT 9/25/2024 "Nothing heals us like letting people know our scariest parts: When people listen to you cry a...