Tuesday, March 19, 2024

WEDNESDAY'S WORD - COVERT - Sadell Bradley - 3/20/2024

 

WEDNESDAY'S WORD

COVERT

3/20/2024

"The panther is sleek. The panther is sneaky. The panther is covert. Meanwhile, the gorilla will show up and bang on his chest and make noises to warn you about what's about to happen if you continue to cross the line."– Winston Duke - American Actor

At our house, we are fans of the MARVEL comic universe. The Black Panther is one of my favorite movies. Winston Duke quoted above, plays the character Lord M'Baku. He is the leader of the Jabari Tribe, a group of African Wakandans who choose not to participate in mainstream society. I'm sure that was peaceful! His tribe was COVERT— not openly acknowledged or displayed. Actually, the entire Wakandan nation was concealed. Access to the country even came through an invisible portal. Wakanda possessed the unlimited treasure of Vibranium and more advanced technological resources than other kingdoms. They hid in plain sight, much like actual panthers do, operating mostly in secret.


COVERT is a word that has more than one meaning. As a noun, a COVERT is a thicket in which game can hide. So, the panther pictured is covertly hiding IN a covert. The Old French covrir means covered. Finally in ornithology, which is the study of birds, a COVERT is any of the feathers covering the bases of the main flight or tail feathers of a bird.


In Psalm 61, David wrote on the Neginah (stringed instruments) his plea to the LORD:


Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.

From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.

 

Other renderings are, "Let me take refuge in the shelter of Your wings," or "I will shelter myself under the shadow of thy wings." David was running from King Saul's murderous plots when he fled into a cave and wrote, Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me! For my soul trusts in You; And in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, Until these calamities have passed by." (Psalm 57:1) It's adorable to see a chick hiding in the fold of its mother's pinions. Now picture, you, your family, or friends, under stress and duress, being able to rest securely shielded under the giant, loving, winged arms of God the Father until the danger and destruction have ended.

Worship Service 10:00 AM - Bible Study 9:00 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment

WEDNESDAY'S WORD - FAVORITISM- Sadell Bradley- 05/15/2024

  WEDNESDAY'S WORD FAVORITISM 05/15/2024 "FAVORITISM: Acting as if you only have one grandchild, and the other ones don't exist...