Tuesday, September 5, 2023

WEDNESDAY'S WORD - TURMOIL - Sadell Bradley - 09/06/2023

 

WEDNESDAY'S WORD

KNOWLEDGE

8/30/2023

"The best thinking has been done in solitude. The worst has been done in turmoil."

- Thomas A. Edison

TONIGHT 7 PM

BIBLE STUDY


ACTING UP:

The Beautiful Gate


@warehouseOTR 

Facebook, Youtube

TURMOIL is a state of great disturbance, confusion, or uncertainty. Other synonyms are confusion, upheaval, and turbulence. The opposite of turmoil is calm or peace. One image that gives us a picture of turmoil is waves crashing, which is symbolic of inner angst, unrest, chaos, or agitation. Have you recently found yourself in a time of external or internal turmoil? What was the cause of your unrest?


During his deepest trial at the hands of Satan, things got so bad for Job that he cursed the day he was born (Job 3:3). He cried, What I feared has come upon me; what I dreaded has happened to me. I have no peace, no quietness; I have no rest, but only turmoil.” (Vs. 25-26) The upheaval in our lives can at times be spiritual warfare. The distractions and trials presented by the enemy can take away our sense of peace and tranquility. That's not the only time Scripture says we can experience turmoil.


David, in Psalm 38, laments the negative affects of his sin, which has caused the LORD to severely chasten him. His foolishness and wrongdoing has brought on serious consequences. He writes in verses 6-8, "I am troubled, I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long. For my loins are full of inflammation, And there is no soundness in my flesh. I am feeble and severely broken; I groan because of the turmoil of my heart."


Solomon writes that success, wealth, and riches can also bring a kind of turmoil, "Better to have little, with fear for the LORD, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." (Proverbs 15:16) Sometimes attempting to gain, hold, and protect our money, property, status, or position can bring a level of turmoil to our lives. We generally believe that not having enough is a disturbance...but it seems so is having too much.


Perhaps the turmoil you're experiencing is the result of enemy activity. Maybe you've missed the mark of God's holiness in some way and you're experiencing repercussions. Or you might be focused on and striving for the wrong things. Whatever the case, it is good to remember: God is not the author of confusion...but of peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment

WEDNESDAY'S WORD - FAVORITISM- Sadell Bradley- 05/15/2024

  WEDNESDAY'S WORD FAVORITISM 05/15/2024 "FAVORITISM: Acting as if you only have one grandchild, and the other ones don't exist...