Tuesday, February 2, 2021

WEDNESDAY'S WORD - DIALOGUE - Sadell Bradley - 2/3/2021

WEDNESDAY'S WORD
DIALOGUE
2/3/2021
"Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right." -Jane Goodall
Yesterday, I was preparing for tonight's Bible Study series: A Thin Line Between Love and Hate. It's Black History month in the US. The things that have transpired this past year will be chronicled not just as Black History, but as American History. I posed a question on Facebook for my African-American brothers and sisters, "Black Christians, how have you felt about the various responses of White Christians to the US racial climate over the past year?" This question opened up a beautifully transparent and vulnerable DIALOGUE - a discussion between two or more people or groups, especially one directed toward exploration of a particular subject or resolution of a problem. I was impressed by the thoughtfulness, self-awareness, and introspection of friends across the Country as they shared their feelings of disappointment, concern, anger, and weariness. Over 100 comments ensued delving into their experiences in personal, professional, and church relationships. Some statements were a clarion call to action. Others, were a resignation to having to live in a difficult reality they feared would never end. African-American Christians from their 20's-70's responded with thoughts, feelings, and potential solutions to the racial issue that plagues us. It was moving and refreshing. Several expressed a sincere desire to see healing and reconciliation take place, despite their frustrations. I was also impressed by the fact that many of my Caucasian brothers and sisters honored the question's target and politely read the comments, not interjecting, but learning. Some even waited until after they'd read 100 comments to write—not to offer a rebuttal to what was shared, but expressions of love, concern, and a commitment to be a part of healing solutions.
DIALOGUE IS A DOORWAY TO HEALING
It is sad that these days we're using words as weapons and not as keys to open the doors of our hearts. Jesus rebuked the prideful, lukewarm, Church of Laodicea, "You say, ‘I am rich. I have everything I want. I don’t need a thing!’ And you don’t realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked.18So I advise you to buy gold from me—gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. Also buy white garments from me so you will not be shamed by your nakedness, and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see.19I correct and discipline everyone I love. So be diligent and turn from your indifference." It's not just our connection with one another that requires a vulnerable, genuine, unobstructed gateway; our relationship with Christ does too. Jesus invites His broken and undeserving church back into fellowship with Him. In much the same way, some of us will be called on to re-engage those who've done or said injurious things when they come to a place of contrition (sorrow), confession, and repentance. I wonder if we, like Christ, will say, I'm right here waiting for you, 20“Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends."
COME, LET US REASON TOGETHER!
To engage in real dialogue, we must take risks. I did not know what posing that question would do, but one powerful statement came from a friend from South Carolina, Pastor Carl Bright. He said, "I’ve personally come to the reality of understanding those who’ve tolerated us (Black people) versus those who have a Godly Love for us. Just been praying and asking God to let me see what He sees, and know what He knows...then move out the way He would have me to move. They don’t have to love me for me to love them. They don’t have to be my best friend, nor do I have to agree with them for me to show love to them." Wise words straight from the heart of Matthew 5:43-48 for all of us to live out.
at The Warehouse Church, OTR @warehouseOTR

No comments:

Post a Comment

WEDNESDAY'S WORD - FAVORITISM- Sadell Bradley- 05/15/2024

  WEDNESDAY'S WORD FAVORITISM 05/15/2024 "FAVORITISM: Acting as if you only have one grandchild, and the other ones don't exist...