Wednesday, December 16, 2020

WEDNESDAY'S WORD - TOUCHED - Sadell Bradley 12/16/2020

 

WEDNESDAY'S WORD
TOUCHED
Sadell Bradley
12/16/2020
"The all-seeing eye of God beheld our deplorable state; infinite pity touched the heart of the Father of mercies; and infinite wisdom laid the plan of our recovery." - David Brainerd American Clergyman
Touch is one of the things I realize I've taken for granted since COVID-19 arrived on the scene. I confess, I am a hugger. I like to lift children up, run around and play with them. To resist the urge to comfort someone who is hurting, or to greet a person with a physical expression of overwhelming joy, is difficult. There have been times when I knew a fist bump was not going to do. I've taken a risk thinking, "I'm going to hug them because they need it. If I gotta go doing that, then that's the way I'll go." Don't get me wrong, I've been VERY cautious during this pandemic. Those few critical hugs have been dire situations followed up by hand sanitizing. TOUCH means to come so close to an object or person as to come into contact. Humans were created for touch. It releases stress, boosts health and immunity, and strengthens personal bonds. We need multiple touches per day to feel connected and loved. Single people engage friends or even get pets to fulfill this need. Touch has figurative meanings: to have an effect on; to make a difference; to produce feelings of affection, gratitude, or sympathy. We can touch each other's hearts and minds in both positive and negative ways. In 2020, we learned how significant touch is, and what our society feels like when positive touch is absent.
WHO TOUCHED ME?
Jesus had healed a demon-possessed man in Mark 5, and was on his way to cure the ailing daughter of Jairus, a leader in the synagogue. A large crowd was following Him to Jairus' house. A woman who had been bleeding for 12 years was in the crowd. She had spent all her money on physicians, but her condition had worsened. She was in agony. Not only was she physically ill and weakened, but an issue of blood made her what in India they call 'an untouchable:' an unclean, social outcast, isolated and alone. She had heard about Jesus and thought within herself, "If I can but touch the hem of His garment, I will be healed."(28) This woman knew she needed a point of contact with Jesus. She touched Jesus physically, and He asked, "Who touched Me?" His disciples said, "There's a crowd of people here Jesus, everyone is touching You." But her touch was not just physical. It was spiritual. Jesus said, virtue— His healing power had been released to her and she knew that by that touch she was healed. I'm wondering if you've pushed through the pain? Has Jesus recognized your touch this year?
HE TOUCHED ME!
Some of you will remember the hymn, "He Touched Me," by Bill Gaither. The lyrics are powerful. "Shackled by a heavy burden, 'neath a load of guilt and shame. Then the hand of Jesus touched me and now I am no longer the same. Since I met this blessed Savior, since He's cleansed and made me whole, I will never cease to praise Him! I'll shout it while eternity rolls. He touched me. Oh, He touched me. And Oh, the joy that floods my soul. Something happened and now I know. He touched me and made me whole." Not only has Jesus touched us, Hebrews 4:15 says He is a High Priest that is touched with the feeling of our infirmities. That means He understands, He empathizes, and He cares. Inside your COVID bubble, there may be someone whom YOU CAN intentionally touch more in affirming ways—both literally and figuratively. Make it a point to do so. They need it and so do you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WEDNESDAY'S WORD - FAVORITISM- Sadell Bradley- 05/15/2024

  WEDNESDAY'S WORD FAVORITISM 05/15/2024 "FAVORITISM: Acting as if you only have one grandchild, and the other ones don't exist...