Wednesday, June 5, 2019

WEDNESDAY'S WORD - DOUBLE - 06/05/19 - Sadell Bradley - New Life Covenant Cincinnati

   
 
"My father always taught me that when you help other people, then God will give you double. And that's what has really happened to me. When I have helped other people in need, God has helped me more." - Cristiano Ronaldo - Footballer/Soccer Player   
 
I recently attended a meeting at which leaders in the entrepreneurial ecosystem in Cincinnati were gathered for a lunch and learn with officials from the State of Ohio. I've heard people say, "There's no free lunch," but on this occasion, lunch was included   ; ), so we picked up our boxed lunches. Why do we experience this like kids opening presents on Christmas? You know exactly what's in there: a sandwich, some chips, a cookie, a pickle, condiments and a napkin, Lol! Anyway...to my great surprise, I opened my sandwich and it was really thick. I thought, wow, is Panera is making Dagwood-style double-decker sandwiches now? So I found a knife to cut this huge sandwich I couldn't get my mouth around. I initially thought it was a layered sandwich with three slices of bread. Then I realized it was actually TWO sandwiches. I had been given a real life DOUBLE portion! Of course I got really spiritual, "That'll PREACH!"   
 
 
DOUBLE - means consisting of two identical, or similar parts or things; having twice the usual size, quantity, strength, amount, or extent. To receive a double portion is not an everyday thing, it is an unusual occurrence of favor. In 2 Kings 2:9-11, as the prophet Elijah is ready to pass over into glory, he says to his protege Elisha, "Ask what I may do for you, before I am taken away from you?" Elisha says, "Please let a double portion of  your spirit be upon me." (indicating succession and a mantle of leadership and anointing)  Elijah replies, "You have asked a hard thing. Nevertheless, if you see me when I am taken from you, it shall be so for you; but if not, it shall not be so." Then it happened, as they continued on and talked, that suddenly a chariot of fire appeared with horses of fire, and separated the two of them; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. Elisha, his dedicated servant and apprentice saw him...and it was so. He received the double.
 
In Hebrew tradition, the first born son receives a double portion of their father's inheritance (Deut. 21:7) Because of the love and favor that was on his life Joseph, who was not the eldest son, received a double portion. (Exek 47:13; Gen 48:5) Hannah's husband Elkanah, loved her so much that he gave her a double portion of all he had despite the fact that she was childless. (1 Sam 1:3)  Double portions like these and the one promised to Israel in Isaiah 61, connote abundant blessing, and can be conferred to the LORD as a Divine exchange for trial and difficulty. "Instead of your shame you shall have double honor, And instead of confusion they shall rejoice in their portion.Therefore in their land they shall possess double; Everlasting joy shall be theirs." (Isaiah 61:7)  Double portions are given by Divine intervention and interruption. Sometimes, like me, you don't even know that or when your double portion is coming. I pray that sandwich is a prophetic indication of the doubling of greater things in this season!   
 
 





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

WEDNESDAY'S WORD - FAVORITISM- Sadell Bradley- 05/15/2024

  WEDNESDAY'S WORD FAVORITISM 05/15/2024 "FAVORITISM: Acting as if you only have one grandchild, and the other ones don't exist...