Wednesday, February 10, 2016

WEDNESDAY'S WORD - QUARREL - Sadell Bradley- 02/09/16 - New Life Covenant Cincinnati


andry_at_laptop.jpg

The photo above is exactly how I felt on social media yesterday. It happens every once in a while, not just to me but to many of my friends.  We'll be sharing a different opinion/perspective on an issue and be met with serious hostility, usually from a Christian brother or sister. Because of a view I shared on disparities and double standards in perceptions of African-Americans vs. Caucasians.  I was shamed and told that I was an affront to the Gospel and not a Christian leader. 

This really shocked me. 1) I was just posing a question/alternative thought for discussion, 2) I welcomed all opinions (we are not a monolith) and 3) this issue definitely had nothing to do
with my love for Jesus or leadership in the Church.  To the contrary, these types of discussions are meant to expose the subtleties of the SIN of racism and classism; to bring light to a very dark area in our underbelly and move us to a greater sensitivity and one day hopefully unity. I stated that despite our differing opinions, I would never suggest that disagreement would be tantamount to another person not being saved or a leader. It was not my intent to start or be involved in a quarrel. A QUARREL is an angry argument or disagreement, typically between people who are usually on good terms. So I took the post down.

Paul said that quarreling was something that Believers should avoid. God's servants had to learn to disagree agreeably, and have patience with the process of change in people's lives. I'm wondering how some of their disagreements about Gentiles being engrafted into salvation with the Jews might have gone...  
 
Again I say,don’t get involved in foolish, ignorant arguments that only start fights. A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone, be able to teach, and be patient with difficult people. Gently instruct those who oppose the truth. Perhaps God will change those people’s hearts, and they will learn the truth. Then they will come to their senses and escape from the devil’s trap. For they have been held captive by him to do whatever he wants. (2 Timothy 2:23-26)
I pray that the Lord will bring us to a maturity that enables us to have hard discussions without judgment and shaming that will not engender strife, but bring about UNITY in the Body of Christ, and that we won't quit along the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment

WEDNESDAY'S WORD - SETBACK- SADELL BRADLEY - 03/13/2024

WEDNESDAY'S WORD SETBACK 3/13/2024 "If you don't learn from why you're in the position you're in, you are doomed to rep...